Sunday, September 6, 2009

Basque-ful of Bounty


My group decided to have a field trip. It's a farming community not far from San Jose, so we met at the train station that has very confusing machines to pay for the parking. I had to show another member how to use it after several attemps and fianlly figuring it out. She then went on to teach others. After two hours of listening to a couple of car mates' loud and tedious and sometimes nonsense (one of them couldn't speak English that well) blast of non stop talking, I was ready for a headache. I couldn't be any happier when we arrived at the fruit stand.
.
.
This is the inside view of the first destination - a gigantic fruit stand completed with an old truck.


They grow garlics so big that I had to take a picture. The ones in the pink bags are your normal garlics. One clove of the purple garlic can last me a month or two.



Outdoor band and a craft fair.



I haven't seen one of these in ages.



This will be a great plaque for Bob's backyard swimming pool that he was working on.
.
.
I guess this is the pond the plaque was referring to?


The place is littered with old farming tools, most of which I have never seen or could name. I thought this one looks pretty cool.
.
.
Somebody had to point it out to me that it was a fire engine!


A wind mill that's still turning.
.
.
We then moved on to a town 30 minutes away to have some Basque style dinner. Where are the pictures? Well I didn't take any.
.
The place is a bare minimum with long tables where you share with stranger. Aside from the main course, you share all the other dishes with your dining companions. I'm not sure why it's called Basque, because they look just like American food :) with potato salad and frensh fries! The lamb stew was delicious (I think I'll go have some right now) but the roasted lamb is a little on the bland side. They gave you so much food that many of us had to ask for doggie bags.
.
It's probably worth the trip if you have never been there, or if you went there five years ago. But it's a weekend to get out of the city and play tourist. Fun for a change.

5 comments:

  1. What terrific pictures! I love the fruit stand one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rick! you take very nice pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks bob. did you see the plaque i got for your swimming pool? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lizette - me too! but i just couldn't bring myself to buying one - they're way too big! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails